Friday, August 4, 2017

Teacher Wellness

Today, for the first time all summer, I decided to watch some TV.    I'm not much of a TV show person.   We have only a few channels on the TV in our bedroom and we subscribe to Netflix.   While cleaning our bedroom, I watched Rachel Ray.    What a delight!  My nerdy self geeked out watching this part of the show on the brain and food choices.   I'm a big brain research nerd.   I watched the segment, went on Amazon, and discovered the book is only $2.00 on Kindle!

A personal shift I made for myself yesterday was I gave myself a tiny pantry in my classroom so that I remember to eat at work.

What happens is I get so busy at work that I forget to eat.   Lunch break is super fast and I'm not one to like rushing while I eat.  In the mornings, I'm busy getting the children ready that I'll forget myself. I've been doing weight watchers (down 32 pounds thus far) and I'd like to keep up my good work.  I have a mini fridge in my room and plenty of bottled water.   I also brought in some paper plates, cutlery, napkins, seasoning, salad dressing, PB2, tuna and other low point snacks.   In addition to this, I also brought in some of my favorite tea bags as well.   Mmmm vanilla tea while planning - sounds good to me!  

The point is - to be an effective teacher - we need to be taking care of ourselves.   This is a small start.


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this, Leigh Anne - I usually have almonds and beef jerky in one of my file cabinet drawers! This is a great shift just for you - stay healthy, my friend!

    ReplyDelete

First Classroom Circle - Community Building!

On September 15th, I facilitated our first official classroom circle of the school year.   I told students about us being in Circle all week...