Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Innovator's Mindset - Forward and Intro Reflection

At 47 minutes I really got hooked when I'm hearing to find someone to support you - even if it is not someone in the school building.  

The prompt for this week for Innovator's Mindset is "What do you see as the purpose of education?   Why might innovation be crucial in education?"

This question made me think of that old quote where it says something like if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Truly, think about it.   How old are you?   How is school different for your students compared to how it was for you when you were their age?   Innovation and change aren't bad things.   They can be scary, yes.   I've said this before and I'll say it again - most things in my life that were totally worth it, started off as ridiculously scary and anxiety packed.

"Change is an opportunity to do something amazing."

Seriously.   Take a look at me.  I'm stepping completely out of my comfort zone making shifts left and right personally and professionally.    My students are with me along the ride and they're inspiring me.  Our conversations are more open, I'm learning more about them and how they learn - more so than I ever imagined.  

It's okay for it to feel a little uncomfortable.   That's how you know it's going to be worth it.

3 comments:

  1. “ most things in my life that were totally worth it, started off as ridiculously scary and anxiety packed. ”. So true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It's okay for it to feel a little uncomfortable. That's how you know it's going to be worth it." Yup. And you HAVE found people who will support you. We just haven't met in person - yet. I like this idea, too, from Angela Maiers - when students (and US) get too comfortable, we're at risk for... boredom, complacency, disengagement, disinterest, lack of challenge, lack of motivation, and resistance to change..... You're out of your comfort zone, and it's getting more comfortable, I'll bet! Keep going, Leigh Anne! You may crash, but you've got supporters to get you standing and then running once again! ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have my support too, Leigh Ann, as you stretch and grow with your students to do something amazing. Eleanor Roosevelt said "Do one thing every day that scares you." You are on your way!

    ReplyDelete

First Classroom Circle - Community Building!

On September 15th, I facilitated our first official classroom circle of the school year.   I told students about us being in Circle all week...