Monday, March 5, 2018


I am presently reading The Innovator's Mindset as well as Empower at the same time while taking part in the #IMMOOC online study as best as I can.

George Couros explains the eight characteristics of the Innovator's Mind.    In the sections below I am going to put HIS words in italics and my reflection under.  In some spaces, you may see no reflection and that's mainly because I don't need to be redundant.   This author is SO SPOT ON.   Our philosophies definitely seem to mesh at this point.

#1 Empathetic
Empathetic teachers think about the classroom environment and learning opportunities from the point of view of the student, not the teacher.   

...Because of Lisa's willingness to develop relationships with her students, she understood them

I especially enjoyed George's words on this not because I agreed, but because I felt he was speaking to me at the same time.   My students are always (and yes, I mean ALWAYS) important to me.  I feel as if you can NOT have a successful learning outcome without an emotional investment in your students.

#2 Problem Finders/Solvers
...Sometimes it takes several attempts and iterations to solve real-life problems, and, sometimes, there are several correct answers.

Teaching students by examples to be self-starters and to continuously evaluate how THEY might improve THEIR education helps them learn how to effectively learn.

Finding the problem is an essential part of learning - one that students miss out on when we pose the problem to them first.  

My students... we need those attempts... it's rarely done the first time.

#3 Risk Takers
Innovative teaching and learning involve taking risks!

Risk is necessary to ensure that we are meeting the needs of each unique student.  Some respond well to one way of learning, while others need a different method or format.  

^^^^ Hello!    The life of a special education teacher!    At least, my life! ^^^^

#4 Networked & #5 Observant
...Every opportunity to share with others on a global scale makes you think more deeply about what it is that you are sharing in the first place.  

Innovation (and enjoyment) flourishes when teachers collaborate to learn and practice new strategies. Isolation is often the enemy of innovation.

Let's put some emphasis on that last point, shall we?!?!
ISOLATION IS OFTEN THE ENEMY OF INNOVATION!

WOW!   YES!   I spent a significant amount of time during my research project for my M.Ed. reading about teacher isolation.   It's real ya'll, it's real.   I never imagined that I could grow as much as I have just through networking online.   The wealth of knowledge I find in my colleagues near and far is a professional blessing.    How fortunate am I to be able to talk with these amazing individuals at any time.

"Inspiration is everywhere and often in unexpected places; 
you just have to keep your eyes open."

#6 Creators 
Creating something helped them make a personal connection to the information - an important key for deeper learning.

Creation is crucial.

Absolutely!   Personal connections are ridiculously important.   My students are enjoying connecting right now through Sketchnoting.   However, when it comes down to other tasks such as writing, it's important for me to choose something for my students to respond to that has meaning to them.   I've said it so many times and I'll say it again, you simply MUST meet them where they are and then build from there.  

#7 Resilient
...If you do not believe in your idea, why would anyone else?

Anything new and different can seem threatening.

...Resilience is a necessary trait for innovators, but it is also a skill that all humans need to develop.  Life is full of ups and downs.   How you recover from failure and move forward is important to how you learn and how you live.   


#8 Reflective
...necessary...

What we model is what we get.  --Jimmy Casas



No comments:

Post a Comment

First Classroom Circle - Community Building!

On September 15th, I facilitated our first official classroom circle of the school year.   I told students about us being in Circle all week...