Monday, February 26, 2018

On the school shooting(s)...


This post has been in my drafts for quite a while now and it's still so hard to articulate how I feel regarding the recent school shooting in Florida.   It's pretty simple.   I'm heartbroken, yet hopeful.

When I was a little girl, I loved to play school.   I enjoyed making lessons.   I've always loved learning.   I've always loved to read and to write.   For a while, I wasn't sure if I was going to be a journalist or a teacher.   Teaching though, it somehow has been my calling for as long as I can remember.   Even when I considered journalism, I would think, "Maybe I'll teach writing..."
NEVER in all of that time did I ever imagine being unsafe at my work.   I wasn't signing up to be a police officer.   I wasn't signing up to work for the F.B.I.    I wasn't signing up to be a sniper.   Teaching and violence were two schools of thought that never ever went together.   

And now here we are.... 2018.... and the sad thing is when someone talks about a school shooting, we hear someone say something like, "Which one?"  Or "Was that the shooting where..." or "Oh you mean the one that was in Pennsylvania or are you talking about the one out over in...."

I hate that we have to have these drills, but I know they're necessary.
I hate that I've had to sit down with my six year old and explain to him that sometimes people just want to hurt people for no reason.   

When I first heard the news of what had happened in our most recent school shooting (seriously, how sad is it that I need to word it as 'our most recent') my first reaction was what it normally is.   To pray. God and I have been having many talks lately as I pray for not only the victims but also the shooter.  I don't know why he did what he did, but I do know how.   I don't know how this community is ever going to recover, but I have faith that God is going to work through their hurt with them.   As I follow the story, I see God at work.   

The topic of arming teachers seems to be circulating and I can't pretend to know the answer to this.  I'm a firm believer in bringing a solution when you present a problem.   I personally would not be able to do it.   You're talking to the girl who will put a mug over a spider and usher it outside before smashing it on the floor.   For me to even consider having a weapon, let alone in my classroom... no.  I can't.   It's not me.   I know I sound naive but I prefer to believe in God's purpose and plan and I'd rather put my energy in my faith and my prayer than my weapon.   Does this mean I wouldn't fight to save my students if need be?   No.   God forbid anything ever were to happen in our building, I'd be in front of my kids protecting them.   

As the stories keep unfolding in the news and across social media I see a wide variety of solutions being presented that really do catch my interest.   What's sad is how everything has a price tag.   What's sad to me is how this is even a conversation.   What's sad to me is how there is a lot of talk but not much action from the people in charge.    

What inspires me though is these young souls in Florida are taking the action.

It's my belief that we need to have a conversation.    As a country.   A true conversation.   I'm talking being able to speak and not just listened to but heard.   The students can lead the way.   Seriously.   Support them.   Have faith.    There's a lot of good coming from our youth.    Support them.   

Our students are our future.    Watch them.   Don't underestimate their power.   Talk with a teen you know.   Have the conversations.   The tough conversations usually prove to be the most rewarding.   Do not underestimate them because they are young.   Because if you ask me... the teens in Florida would make Timothy quite proud...


My sincerest thoughts and prayers to all those involved with this terrible tragedy.   May God be with you and yours as you move towards healing and understanding.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

First Classroom Circle - Community Building!

On September 15th, I facilitated our first official classroom circle of the school year.   I told students about us being in Circle all week...