Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Story Time

Image via Google Images

How did THIS happen!?!
I truly believe that reflection is a MAJOR part of an educator's day.   Hopefully.   I've always been a reflective person.  I am blessed to say I've always had someone in my life that I could reflect with if need be.   This past year, I decided to FINALLY finish my Masters Degree.   Finally.  It was long overdue with many unexpected roadblocks.   

It took a great deal of reflection when it came time to choosing my research topic.   I made the deliberate decision of NOT using my students for my research.   I did not want them to feel any added pressure.    Our district was working on piloting a peer coaching initiative and I immediately felt inspired.   Long story short... my research question became:  How did peer coaching impact the teacher as a professional?

As I dove into the research I began finding a LOT (seriously... a lot) of information about teacher isolation.   The more I read, the more I became intrigued.   I learned about the Goodlad study of 1983 which basically said that teachers are normally separated from one another and little is done to encourage teachers to come together in their schools to discuss.  SAY WHAT!?!?  As I read on I learned that Goodlad had some very strong beliefs regarding reflective practice and teacher isolation. 

Goodlad also clarified that the isolation was not deliberate... it just happens.   Apparently, we teacher folk are busy people.  Who knew?!?   The more I dug into the research of Gusky, Kelleher, and even Bill Gates... I felt intrigued.    Meanwhile, on the homefront, some of my teacher friends were talking about "What they learned on Twitter."     *insert eye rolling emoji here*

Twitter?  Really?  Are we 12?
I must first state that while English is my native language, I am also fluent in sarcasm.

When I started hearing about Twitter, I was NOT sold.   First of all, it seemed overwhelming.   Secondly, I had a life.   Who had time to tweet?   Third, I'm a Polish girl from Philadelphia.  I have a lot to say and I can't be breaking that down to 140 characters.   

Finally, I had heard so much about it I decided to try it before I got all judgey-wudgey (no idea if that's a real term).   I had heard about something called #cyberPD and I jumped in.   Last summer I participated in my first #cyberPD event.   I bought the book, did the reading, and ended up starting my first PLN.  I learned and met some great folks along the way.   All from the comfort of wherever I happened to be.

As I was sitting in my Action Research course I knew I had to incorporate Twitter into my research somehow.    The research was crystal clear:
  • Learning needs to be personalized.   
  • Learning is intimate.   
  • Networking is important.   
  • Professional development is effective when it is embedded in your work.   

Professional development should be meaningful.   It should be personal.   I sarcastically searched "Personalized Professional Development" and soon fell in love.   I found a wonderful group of educators under the "PersonalizedPD" hashtag.   I geeked out when I discovered that there was a book to back it up.  
{Shoutout to Dave, Jason, Kenny and the #personalizedPD crew}

I found myself growing as an educator.  My paper started flowing (except when it came time for citations... APA and I aren't friends)...and as I ended the paper I needed to talk about future plans with my research.... hello, blog!

Because of Twitter, I was able to connect with some very cool people at an ECET2 conference.   Because of Twitter, I was able to meet educators from all over the country.   Because of Twitter I was introduced to a wide variety of professional development books, chats, materials and opportunities.   Because of Twitter (seriously, who knew!?!?), I have grown as an educator.   

Two years ago, if you told me that I could grow as a professional via Twitter (let alone Voxer), I would have thought you were drunk.   

So... here we are!   "Hi!"
So here it is.   My first ever professional blog post.   Please bookmark me, encourage me, give feedback... but most of all ... please enjoy!   Feel free to comment here or let me know what you read on... yup... you guessed it... Twitter.   (Twitter handle:  leighanne_geib)

I want to thank you for reading this.   Thank you to my PLN for helping me grow as an educator in the 21st century.   

4 comments:

  1. Great job! Educators must get off the island and become connected. We are better together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job!! Welcome to the Twitterverse and the Blogosphere!! Who knew???? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the Blogosphere! Blogging has truly changed how I experience teaching and learning (as well as the world around me). I see ideas as possible posts and it endows them with greater meaning, clarity, and purpose. I hope you have similar experiences!
    We'll keep in touch via Twitter! (@LitCoachLady)
    Paula

    ReplyDelete

First Classroom Circle - Community Building!

On September 15th, I facilitated our first official classroom circle of the school year.   I told students about us being in Circle all week...