Sunday, July 30, 2017

The joy of... Joy!


This summer has been really good from a #personalizedPD standpoint for sure.

First of all, this past weekend I had the fun pleasure of clicking "submit" on my final paper for my Master's degree.   I graduated at the end of April but my paper still had to go through some hoops including the second reader... I finally got it back, had to make two small changes (seriously, one typo and one space issue) and then before I knew it... I was downloading it as a PDF and sending it off.   Bam.

But also, I've been introduced to Voxer this summer.   I first participated in a chat on the book Instant Relevance.   Awesome book.   Lots of laughs.   I was then invited to do another chat on Shift This.

Several years ago, actually... wow... close to about 10 years ago, I was able to go and see/hear Kelly Gallagher speak.   I remember how I felt listening to him.   How I felt reading his work.   I still follow him to this day and have some of his books to catch up with.  I think one of the things that "attracted" me to Kelly's work was that he was real.   He's a real teacher.  In a real school.   And he's not full of himself.   He has ideas that can be used at any level.  

Reading Shift This gave me that ::feeling:: again.   Joy is a joy.   She's a real teacher.   In a real school.   And she's the first one to admit in her book that she knows she has made mistakes and she'll probably make more.   I love it!   As I read each word, each sentence, each page... I had so many awesome thoughts.  I felt like Joy was having a conversation with me.  This book doesn't read like a text book.   It reads like a nice day... you know the kind... jeans and a hoodie day.   Nice enough to not bundle up but awesome enough to enjoy some hot tea?   Yea.   That's it!

I found myself highlighting, pausing, making notes etc... I found myself feeling pumped up, recharged, and a bit nervous as I made lists of things I'd like to try....things I'd like to SHIFT.

Blogging in general is my first big shift.  I've done the whole online journal thing before.   Those were the days.   But it was never ::GASP:: public!

I always tell myself that the moment I start dreading going back to work; is the moment it's time to retire.   Don't get me wrong, I love sleeping in.   I love the freedom of summer.   However, Joy brought out more joy in me as I read.   I'm oozing with ideas and I can't wait to see where this school year takes me... and my students.

So seriously folks... if you're a teacher... and you feel the need for some more joy and inspiration in your life... READ THIS BOOK.   You'll be glad you did.   I promise.

2 comments:

  1. Leigh Anne, I am humbled, and also happy. I'm so glad it felt like we were just discussing - and I'm glad I was on the receiving end of those Voxer tid bits! I, too, follow Kelly Gallagher - he's on my (secret - no so much anymore) list on Twitter, so I see his tweets - even if I'm on vacation. ;) I believe those teaching really need to share what we're doing - you're going for it with this blog. That's how it begins! The book was like one large blog post for me, and writing it really kept me motivated during the school year. Please keep writing and contributing online. Educators need your voice. Your voice matters!! Thank you again for sharing such lovely words! I'm saving them and will refer back to them when I next get push-back! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for inspiring me and encouraging me! If you ever come to PA (specifically close to Hershey/Lebanon....meeeeee) I want to know! Your book changed me. What's funny is I just did a smile file post (re: your comment on push-back). I'm presently looking into some "rules" (safety patrol) for some of the Shifts I want to do. Like... lamps... what's the deal with those? I won't burn the place down, I haven't yet. Hehehe

    ReplyDelete

First Classroom Circle - Community Building!

On September 15th, I facilitated our first official classroom circle of the school year.   I told students about us being in Circle all week...