Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Don't be hatin' on the marigolds, yo.



Summer is great!   It's the time I get to decompress, reflect with more intention, and work on expanding my awesome.   As my kids would say, I get my teacher thang on.    The other day I was mindlessly trolling around the Internetz (thank you, Coke Zero for keeping me up past my bed time) and I saw this feed in a group where the original poster was asking "What is it about teaching that makes you justifiably angry/mad?"    I didn't comment.   I took on the role of full fledged creeper, ya'll.  

I read the comments.   Here are a few of the answers I read.   Note:  These aren't MY ANSWERS.  

  • "Unsupportive administrative team."   
  • "Lack of empathy."   
  • "No time for professional development."   
  • "Too much time away from family."   
  • "Lack of resources."    
  • "Confrontational and/or intimidating authority figures."   
  • "Over-bearing parents."
I had to stop reading because it made me feel terrible!  
 
Life lesson:  NEVER EVER READ THE COMMENTS!

It dawned on me that I felt terrible because I couldn't relate to the comments I had read at all.   So I had to first attack this terrible feeling with humor.   Hence the meme above.   Yes, no name on papers drives me nuts... but not for the traditional reason you may be thinking.   It drives me crazy because when I read something a student wrote, I want to hear their voice as I'm reading it.   I want to put ME with them.   It helps me read with more clarity and purpose.   Anywhoo... I digress... back to that terrible feeling that Imodium doesn't cure....

I'm sure there are things out there that can rattle even the best of us.   I realized I could not relate to a good chunk of the comments made.   Reading the comments in turn (after some serious reflection) ended up being a blessing in disguise.    It made me realize how lucky I am to do what I do with the people I do it with.   We all have our moments.   We all have our bad days.   We all get frustrated from time to time.   But... wow... how blessed am I to know that if and when frustration/anger comes... I'm never alone.   I have love, guidance, and support from the wonderful people I work with. 


So... if you know me in real life... and we work together - thank you!
If you are a part of my Professional Learning Network - thank you!

If you are aimlessly wandering the Internetz and being a creeper like I was the other night... thanks to you, too!     


And also... ironically enough, the post I creeped on was deleted.    Scandalous!  

 

3 comments:

  1. Leigh Ann - So glad you don't need this plaque... https://www.amazon.com/Decorative-Plaque-Illegitimi-Carborundum-Stained/dp/B00AAN7RR6 And get this - it's "currently unavailable" because so many people must be getting them! (Yes, you may have to look up the meaning...) Beware those walnut trees, and I'm so happy you've got marigolds surrounding you! Thank you for sharing your optimism!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shoot - sorry I didn't add that "E," Leigh Anne!!

      Delete
    2. Wow! It looks like it means, "Don't let the bastards get you down." And don't worry about the "e" in Anne. My maiden name is Szczurek so I don't take spelling errors personally at all LOL

      Delete

First Classroom Circle - Community Building!

On September 15th, I facilitated our first official classroom circle of the school year.   I told students about us being in Circle all week...