Thursday, July 13, 2017

Things that make me go "hmmmmm"


I am absolutely loving this book.    I find myself reading... highlighting... smiling... pausing for reflection.   Joy writes in such a way that really draws you in as a reader.   I'm about halfway through this book and I find myself literally saying, "YES!" and "AMEN!" or "WHOA!" as I read.

Joy talks about Shifting things... but doing it at your pace.  One thing at a time.   When I participated in this week's Twitter Chat I found myself reflecting about the literal classroom environment.   The literal tables and chairs.   The setup.

My classroom has no windows.    One thing I'm going to try to shift is the lighting in my classroom. I'd like to bring in more lights and attempt a more natural lighting look.    I'm also pondering moving my desk.   Not sure.    The struggle is that my desk is next to the phone and the only "hook up" to the projector.  

I've also been toying with the idea of creating a Maker Space.   I'm still reading up and researching that.    The point is, I want to make my classroom an even more desirable place to be.   I have a wonderful rapport with my students and I'd like to make the space provided as rewarding to them as possible.   Here are some shots of my classroom as it is now:








2 comments:

  1. I'd think the man in the ceiling might hinder anything you're trying to do in class.... ;D Hehehe! I'm SOOO glad this book has you asking more and more questions. I do have one tiny idea - if it's the connection that's hindering your desk movement, consider getting a simple tray for the computer. Garage sale find, for sure. Whatever you do has to work for you. My kids are used to me changing things a week after I try them if it's not working right. Enjoy the journey - and let the kids in on it with you! Ask for their input - sometimes they share gems!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll see if the shelf is wide enough to hold the laptop. I also NEVER use the TV (we have morning announcements on it, but I have a period one plan) and I'm going to ask if it can be removed considering anything we view is online anyway. LOVE your book!

      Delete

First Classroom Circle - Community Building!

On September 15th, I facilitated our first official classroom circle of the school year.   I told students about us being in Circle all week...