Monday, August 21, 2017

Energizer Bunny





Ah yes, the Energizer Bunny!

Do you remember the commercials?   As a new school year begins, and many teachers receive new students, it's important to take some time to have some meaningful discussion with your students.

Get to know them!   Go beyond the surveys and such.   Have a REAL CONVERSATION.   





I tend to have some students for more than one year, sometimes all four years of high school.   This year, about 85% of my students are new to me.   I haven't met them yet and I can't wait to do so!   My favorite question to ask my new students is this...

WHEN DO YOU STOP LEARNING?
Seriously, ask this question!  
Do not be shocked when students say things like "June" or "After graduation"...
Go deeper! 
Embrace the conversation!
Make connections!

My students love to hear the things I am learning or have learned.   It can be something as simple as this,  "Did you know that if you walk into the Auto Zone and ask them to help you buy new windshield wipers, they will not only help you with your purchase but they will install them... for free!"  Or "Did you know you can download (insert name of video game here) from the app store and play it on your phone and your progress will be recorded so it's there when you turn on the actual gaming system when you get home?"    Sometimes the kids teach you!   Actually, a lot of times they do!   This past year, I learned SO MUCH about Elvis Presley from one of my kids.    I also learned that if you chug sprite after eating a banana, it won't end well.    Seriously... take the time this year to ask your students, "When do you stop learning?"   I can assure you that you will learn something new.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

First Classroom Circle - Community Building!

On September 15th, I facilitated our first official classroom circle of the school year.   I told students about us being in Circle all week...