Friday, August 11, 2017

Genesis - Thats all (TV 1983)




During the day in the summer, if I'm home with the children, the TV is off. We're usually listening to music while playing.   Today, it is "Flashback Friday" on the local radio station and I had to laugh when I heard this song come on. 

Genesis.   It's not just the story of the beginning in the Bible!    I probably reflected way too much and I've probably gone way too far but I just found myself laughing while we danced to this song and I heard certain lines.

I've been thinking a lot about how excited I am for this school year.   While I have relatively the same caseload, a lot of the students in my actual class are coming to me for the first time.   I had to laugh when I heard "...always the same, it's just a shame, that's all...."  -- if you are a regular reader of my blog you know that I'm switching it up quite a bit this year!   From decor to policy to lessons etc... lots and lots of Shifts thanks to my awesome Shift This summer read.  

So, like a true nerd (fluent in sarcasm) I put commentary to the lyrics in parenthesis below.  

"That's All"


Just as I thought it was going alright
I find out I'm wrong, when I thought I was right.  (not wrong... just needed to spice it up!)
S'always the same, it's just a shame, that's all.  (classroom decor)
I could say day, and you'd say night.  (Common Core....)
Tell me it's black when I know that it's white
S'always the same, it's just a shame, that's all.    (classroom set up, policies, etc)

I could leave but I won't go.  (I love my job, no intention of leaving)
Though my heart might tell me so.   (Heart tells me to write more, thanks a lot, Joy!)
I can't feel a thing from my head down to my toes  (never read in a wooden chair...)
But why does it always seem to be
Me looking at you, you looking at me  (Amazon wish list)
S'always the same, it's just a shame, that's all

Turning me on, turning me off,     (Lights for late night reading...)
Making me feel like I want too much.   (Darn you, Amazon!)
Living with you's just putting me through it all of the time
Running around, staying out all night. 
Taking it all instead of taking one bite.   (Taking one bite at a time this year with the Shifts!)
Living with you's just putting me through it all of the time

I could leave but I won't go
It'd be easier I know
I can't feel a thing from my head down to my toes
But why does it always seem to be
Me looking at you, you looking at me
S'always the same, it's just a shame, that's all

Truth is I love you.  (Reading, teaching...)
More than I wanted to
There's no point in trying to pretend
There's been no-one who
Makes me feel like you do
Say we'll be together till the end   (Student loan debt, we're together for awhile...)

I could leave but I won't go
It'd be easier I know
I can't feel a thing from my head down to my toes
So why does it always seem to be
Me looking at you, you looking at me
S'always the same, it's just a shame, that's all

But I love you
More than I wanted to
There's no point in trying to pretend
There's been no-one who
Makes me feel like you do
Say we'll be together till the end

But just as I thought it was going alright
I find out I'm wrong when I thought I was right
S'always the same, it's just a shame, that's all
I could say day, you'd say night
Tell me it's black when I know that it's white
S'always the same, it's just a shame, that's all

That's all

1 comment:

  1. Leigh Anne, I have TOTALLY got to meet you some day. We would have a blast!

    ReplyDelete

First Classroom Circle - Community Building!

On September 15th, I facilitated our first official classroom circle of the school year.   I told students about us being in Circle all week...