Monday, July 3, 2023

Restorative Justice in Education Conference

This past spring, I completed my very first class on Restorative Justice in Education.   I absolutely fell in love with what I was learning.    

Need a recap?   Give this a clicky.

Want me to blow your mind about our pal Maslow?   Give this a clickety click.

So in true "I'm obsessed with my learning" form... I decided to treat myself and spend $100 to attend the RJE in EDU Conference and let me tell you... best spent money in a long time!   


Cool fact:   After the conference, they sent you the recordings of the sessions!   And yes, even the sessions you didn't choose!   #geeksout

So here are just a few (emphasis on FEW) takeaways before I re-watch and re-absorb the information.

Theme:  DIGNITY in the MIDST of CONFLICT
  • Conflict IS a learning OPPORTUNITY.
  • All SIGNIFICANT relationships have conflict.
  • There are invisible things happening at all times.   
  • BE PRESENT!
  • Have you looked at what your students CAN do instead of focusing on what they can't do?  Note to all:  it's not that they can't do it... it's that they can't do it YET.
  • Trick question alert:  what IS power?   Seriously... what is it? 
  • When you think of fairy tales and Disney stories... are you drawn to the hero or the villain?   When sitting in a circle, there is no hero and there is no villain.
  • The circle process can be many things, including spiritual.    The circle process is sacred.   Yes, we teach in public schools but the moment we walk into work, we do not leave our soul.   We do not leave our values or beliefs in the parking lot.   When we enter a circle, we're there and present... all of us.
  • Do not assess time in circle... no points are taken if a student isn't willing to share
  • How do you define JOY?   How do you celebrate JOY?
  • COMPREHENSION of anything or anyone begins with CONVERSATION
  • AAA: Acknowledge, Affirm, Act 

And lastly... 
Am I honoring?
Am I measuring?
What message am I sending?  

I am now beginning a very intense summer class on Circle Processes and I hope to remember to blog more about the conference as well as about my learnings on Circle Processes.    


No comments:

Post a Comment

First Classroom Circle - Community Building!

On September 15th, I facilitated our first official classroom circle of the school year.   I told students about us being in Circle all week...