Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Oh the emotions...

Physical space can be something or nothing.

For those of you who know me and have been "with me" on my journey in education, you know that #phs117 was a big piece of my heart.   

In January, I learned that my room would become a Spanish Classroom and I'd be moved to what is now known as room 121, but was once the Custodian room.  It's literally less than 1/3 the size of #phs117, has barely any storage, and is directly next to the elevator and across from the cafeteria.   I was hoping some sort of space miracle would happen and I wouldn't be the one having to move, but that didn't happen.   

See, the thing is, #phs117 was filled with so many memories.    From Ryan's Spot, to the reading corner, to the shitty candy cane incident of 2022... there were so many memories.   The top photo is my last photo of #phs117 and it's not even an accurate photo as barely any of my things are in that photo.   Time and time again as people heard about this move and the rumors spread (honestly, hilarious), it was not uncommon for someone to come to me and say something along the lines of, "You don't need a big classroom to do the work you've done" or the best one, "You could teach in the dumpster behind Sheetz and still change lives" -- and while that's all appreciated, charming, and a smidge gross... it took until I started reading THIS book to really "Get it"    



I've been learning and reading about UBUNTU quite a bit these past few months and as I begin to unpack what will now be #phs121, I finally get it.   I am who I am today as an educator especially because of the lives that were before me in #phs117, if I have taught my students anything, it is to rise above and stand proud in who you are and what you're about.   I realized that everything I need to help these kids is already inside of me, and while #phs117 served me well, I am confident that moving to this tiny space will be a challenging adventure filled with possibility and awe.   



Video of #phs121 July 2023 -- obviously not set up or decorated.   


2 comments:

  1. Leighanne, I'm so glad you're still blogging - I'm still reading and enjoying your journey! I hope you look back at these some day and re-live all you've experienced and learned. All the best to you this school year in the new space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Joy! I am trying to blog more often! I have a new (and private) Twitter that I just set up after seeing your comment! Thank you for still reading!

      Delete

First Classroom Circle - Community Building!

On September 15th, I facilitated our first official classroom circle of the school year.   I told students about us being in Circle all week...