Saturday, July 8, 2023

An inspiring two weeks...

The start of July marked the start of my second Restorative Justice in Education Graduate class through EMU.   Attending the RJE EMU conference definitely helped renew my spirit.   So much happened this past school year.  SO much.   I'm finally at a place of feeling back-to-me and I am eager to learn in hopes of having the courage to be an agent of change.

The class I am taking is called Facilitating Circle Processes. Even though the class is just kicking off, I'm already pleased to know that I'm in a safe place with amazing folks.

My class textbook is written by my professor and it's an amazing read. The book is called "Creating Restorative Schools" by Martha Brown. I'm not anywhere near finished this text, but I can tell you right now, it's worth it... and it sucks you in. You can order it here. It is also on Amazon, but LJP shipped just as fast and I think they're a better choice. We have a variety of texts we're working with, but the second required one is Circle Forward (click this).




I've read so much this week, but this quote by Gary Howard really stood out to me:

“An unexamined life on the part of a White teacher is a danger to every student.”
(Brown, 2018, p.39)

It always amazes me how fulfilled and inspired I feel in my graduate classes at EMU.

When I have time, and selfishly for my reference, I'll be posting some videos I've enjoyed.

I absolutely love what I am learning. LOVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

First Classroom Circle - Community Building!

On September 15th, I facilitated our first official classroom circle of the school year.   I told students about us being in Circle all week...