Sunday, April 26, 2020

Change is the constant



Organization is not a weakness for me.   I'm blessed with that.   I attended Catholic School from grades one through eight.   I really didn't have a choice.

This weekend, I spent time re-organizing the office.    Ya'll know I love me some accessories and I love my jewelry.    This "office" used to be where I did work for work from time to time (I prefer to work in my classroom) and work my business.

Because of online teaching, I'm obviously in here A LOT.    I do LIVE Zoom lessons with my students, and I've got a really nice system and schedule going.     Or at least... I did.

I have everything beautifully organized, and even made an area in this smaller room for Nora to work on her things as well.   I even let the kids rock out with my Erin Condren 10, 20, and 30 minute timers.   I don't mess around.   I run a tight shift.




A few weeks ago, I unenrolled Nora from her current pre-school.    Expecting a four year old to be on Zoom and paying attention was just something I couldn't wrap my head around.    There was just no way I could keep up with that, plus Elliot's schooling and my responsibilities as a Special Ed Teacher.   The reality is though... Nora's been signed up for a new school in Palmyra for months now and she starts this fall.    Anywhoo...

My son is in 2nd grade and this week they're now moving to all LIVE lessons.    I had to re-do the planner, and tomorrow we have to re-start a new routine again to make this happen.   Supposedly, the lessons will also be recorded and we can get caught up as best we can.    I'm really grateful we bought the printer, that's for sure! 

COVID-19/CORONA has really taught me not to take things for granted.  And it's put a cramp in my organizational OCD ways.   There's so much I miss about teaching.

  • I miss packing my bag on Sunday night.
  • I miss writing out my ETA's on the calendar for picking up kids.
  • I miss packing lunches!
  • I miss SEEING my students in person.
  • Heck, I even miss smelling them!
  • I miss my twinkle lights in my classroom.
  • I miss automatic flushing toilets, because apparently... my kids lack this skill.
  • I miss my work family.   As dysfunctional as we can be.
  • I miss my dry erase boards.
  • I miss hearing my students laugh.    I miss our jokes.
  • I miss SITTING with my students and working one on one
  • I miss writing conferences.
  • And I can't believe I'm saying this, but I even miss progress monitoring.
  • I'm even down for a fire drill to disrupt the day like a nasty fart.
I wish I could plead with the state.   There are far too many people lacking common sense.  STILL.

Get yourself organized and educated, please!   Stop hanging with your friends.   Stop going out with a naked face.   Stop sucking face with people in public.   Stop being nasty.    Stop thinking you're immortal.   I miss my students, I miss my peeps, and this is real.    

Also... don't drink bleach.   That's stupid.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the truth and then the chuckles, Leigh Anne!

    ReplyDelete

First Classroom Circle - Community Building!

On September 15th, I facilitated our first official classroom circle of the school year.   I told students about us being in Circle all week...