Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Independent Reading Time

Wow!   Check out all these awesome student reflections on what they like about Independent Reading Time!   I was really nervous to take this risk and make this shift this year.  However, I had to.  The research is there.  I can't expect my students to become better readers if I'm not giving them the time to practice their craft "without me."   I spent a great deal of time reading about this very statement throughout the summer.    I'm so pleased to see that my students are not only rising to the challenge but also embracing the challenge as well.   The students have been asking me, "Will we have time with our books tomorrow?" - Talk about a smile file moment!   Periods two through six are working incredibly hard and I'm so excited to take this further with each passing month.   At the end of the month, we will be having mini-conferences.   I do not assign book reports.  












1 comment:

  1. "I like these books because it gives me happy feelings about myself." I LOVE this response. When we have so many students struggling and coping with this crazy life we've provided, it's nice to see they can get back to happy feelings - through books we let them read IN CLASS! Thank you for sharing these responses, Leigh Anne!

    ReplyDelete

First Classroom Circle - Community Building!

On September 15th, I facilitated our first official classroom circle of the school year.   I told students about us being in Circle all week...