Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Oh come on! We all have issues!


Today my students and I were "clearing our plates" and talking about some things that were bothering us.  "Things teachers do that bother me..." has been a topic every once in a while.   Well, today, my kids and I were talking about the dreaded red pen.   They pointed out that I never use a red pen to grade their work and they asked me why.

Why?   Where do I start?

  • I told them that I hated getting school work returned to me (especially math) that looked like a murder scene with red ink.... everywhere.
  • I told them for some weird reason it made me feel "less than" as a student.
  • I told them how even though a teacher returned papers in class without being able to see the grade someone got, you always knew it wasn't good because "back in the day" when "I was a kid" any writing on the papers was not "feedback" like it is now.




Yes, I've been teaching for 13 years and I don't even own a red pen.  I don't think I'm "better" than teachers who do use the red pen.  I'm just saying that for some reason, I can't bring myself to do it.  I'll grade in any other color.  Pink is pushing it.    




This is just MY ISSUE/QUIRK... but apparently, it's been discussed before!

Come on, we all have them!   What's your teacher issue/quirk?

1 comment:

  1. I use purple or green or blue or... but I don't write on student's writing. I make notes on a digital comment or in a screencast video - but I won't write on student's writing in ANY color. I get it. I can't stand it, either! My teacher issue/quirk? Extra (bogus) credit. 103% in class? C'mon!

    ReplyDelete

First Classroom Circle - Community Building!

On September 15th, I facilitated our first official classroom circle of the school year.   I told students about us being in Circle all week...