Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Excellent post by Pernille Ripp

Pernille Ripp nails it once again!

Points in the article that stood out to me (without saying 'EVERYTHING'):



  • Where I thought deep engagement was almost always quiet.  Punctuated by brief answers facilitated by me to check for understanding.

  • Where I thought that if only I could get them to listen, then they would learn.

  • If only they would stop talking then they would really understand.

  • if only one child answered then surely that was engagement.

And this, in particular, made me scream, "ME TOO!!!!"



While I see many teachers embrace the “turn and talk” I wonder how often that’s it for student talk.  I am guilty of this thinking;  as long as they turn and talk then surely there was student engagement and yet I have found that in my eagerness to get to the next thing, I have often cut off the kids from going deeper in their conversations.  I am working, therefore, on seeing where it goes and following along when we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

First Classroom Circle - Community Building!

On September 15th, I facilitated our first official classroom circle of the school year.   I told students about us being in Circle all week...