Monday, August 12, 2019

Zee bins, zee bins!

I don't know any teacher who is not a fan of Dollar Tree or any bargain.

Last year, despite the cubbies and despite the awesome wall hangers - I was having some serious issues with my ninth graders and their organization.    It was a lot of modeling, taking time, practicing, etc.     Many of the kids were big fans of organized chaos and even showed me pics of their bedrooms to prove it.   In all my years of teaching, I never experienced a more unorganized class.    My blessing was the kids embraced their issues and they were willing to learn.   Executive functioning lessons to the max, yo.

So this year, I want to be ahead of things.    Kids are all getting their own "slot" on the wall as well as the bin.   However.... I'm poor.    There's no way I could spend the money being asked for 40+ bins.

Dollar Tree to the rescue!   I've never seen these bins at Dollar tree before and I scooped them up.

I was so serious about this purchase, I put them in a seat belt. 




So let us talk about said bins, shall we?    The slots on the wall will be for their folders and their workbooks (if applicable).   The bins are going to contain the following items:

  • One pack of sticky notes (we respond to text a lot!)
  • One eraser
  • One highlighter
  • Three pencils (sharpened)
  • One marble copybook (Thank you, Staples!)
  • One small journal.
A perk of this is also it will allow my students even more privacy.   I've never once caught a student snooping in a journal that does not belong to them, but now it's even more unlikely.

I'm presently looking up paint markers so students can decorate their bins if they so choose.    


1 comment:

  1. Oooh! My favorite part of this is the paint marker option! ;)

    ReplyDelete

First Classroom Circle - Community Building!

On September 15th, I facilitated our first official classroom circle of the school year.   I told students about us being in Circle all week...