Sunday, January 21, 2018

"But what I really want to say is..."

First off, a huge shout out to Dan Tricarico who helped me overcome my writers' block!   The title of this post is for him!  

So here's the deal.    I'm feeling annoyed.
Eh... maybe flustered is a better word?
I don't know... Dan gave me permission to write some "crap" and ... I'm getting it off my chest.   :P

As I was reading The 4 O'Clock Faculty... there were a few quotes in there that really spoke to me.

The first one is credited to Steven Anderson.   "Alone we are smart.  Together we are brilliant."
YES!   Yes!   I feel like we need to spend more time together as educators.   Ah yes, I said a dirty four letter word.   TIME.   Good ole Willie Penn (I can call him that, I'm from Philly) once said that "Time is what we want most, but what we use worst."   I guess I'm not understanding why people can't find the time to grow professionally.   I'm annoyed at myself for not understanding.   Some would argue that it simply might not be important to others as it is for me.   No clue.   Hence, annoyed.   With myself.  

The second quote I enjoyed (and can't remember who to credit...whooops!) is "It is better to be alone than in bad company."  In some cases... yes!   I get this!   My question to you is... have you found your tribe?    It's really quite remarkable when you do!   Get out there.   Take a risk!  

And lastly... good ole Mike Tyson.    "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."   I so get this quote!   So this is where I have bad things to say and you see where I'm annoyed.   I get that I can only change so much.

OUR STUDENTS SEE US!   As I go through social media and I see the posts of other educators in my life (note: this does NOT reflect on my district) I want people to remember that our students see us.   Complaining about teaching... impacts our students.   Even if you didn't complain "to their face." Counting down the days to a break or even summer... impacts our students.   How would you feel if someone was counting down to the last day they were with YOU?    Or posting about dreading going back to work.... how would you feel as a student if you saw the teacher post that they really didn't want to be with you?   Ouch!   That's a big ouch, ya'll.  

I think it's important that as teachers we are mindful of what we say, where we say it and how it is shared.   I think we need to refresh and keep in mind who our audience truly is.   I think it's time to find time for you as a teacher and as a human.   Stop with the excuses.   Find the time to grow professionally.  Find the time to rejuvenate personally.   Find the time.   What I'm saying is - find your tribe, surround yourself with positivity, be kind to yourself and find your "zen." - take the time.   Our students see us.   We see you.  

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you, Leigh Anne. This week was fraught with teacher complaints, and I've had to go to my mindfulness exercises quite often. Going to head there again... right now!

    ReplyDelete

First Classroom Circle - Community Building!

On September 15th, I facilitated our first official classroom circle of the school year.   I told students about us being in Circle all week...