Tuesday, December 4, 2018

I'm not that teacher...



Who is excited for the Holiday Break?

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't.

I absolutely love this time of year.    Seeing the excitement in the eyes of my own children.
Going for "scenic drives" home to admire the decorations of those in our neighborhood.   Making fun crafts.  Doing the advent calendar and devotions.   Preparing for our Wigilia meal.   All that good stuff.

But you see, not everyone looks forward to Christmas.

I'm not one to put a countdown to anything on my board/walls at school. 

I just don't get it. 

Years ago, I had a student with a TERRIBLE home life.   The thought of being off for any amount of time was not a happy thought.   School was a sanctuary for this student.  School was a time for THEM.   School was a place of PEACE.   

So my fellow educators... be careful about what you count down to... not everyone will be going into this Holiday break with sparkles and smiles.   

#justsayin

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you, Leigh Anne. Check out Paul Bogush's comment on the post I wrote about countdowns (in 2014?! Yikes!!) - he's got a different way of counting... http://geniushour.blogspot.com/2014/03/i-dont-do-countdowns.html

    ReplyDelete

First Classroom Circle - Community Building!

On September 15th, I facilitated our first official classroom circle of the school year.   I told students about us being in Circle all week...