Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Student Opinions

The Bloom Balls are officially hanging on display in my classroom which is a #ShiftThis Shift in and of itself as I've never ever hung anything from my ceilings before.   Mad love to my super awesome para for her help and for April (our custodian) for lending a ladder!




It's no secret to anyone that knows me that I value the opinions of others, especially the opinions of my students.    When students walked in today, they were shocked.   They spent time walking around the room looking at each ball, finding their creations, and just spent time completely immersed in the change.  Wow.  WOW.

This is the first time I've ever assigned a Bloom Ball.   It was also a first time for my students.  So... back to opinions...

Here are some (not all... I have videos of other feedback on my Twitter page) of the things my students have shared with me regarding the assignment:

  • It was a lot of fun and better than worksheets.
  • They liked that they had a choice between working solo or with a partner.
  • It helped to see a blank bloom ball assembled.  
  • Students loved being able to "bounce around" in regards to sides.
  • After learning the hard way, several students noted that a rough draft is necessary.
  • Progress chart hanging was super helpful.
  • Having a chance to draw/sketch their understanding/comprehension was helpful.
  • Even when working solo, students enjoyed checking out the progress of their peers.  
  • Students valued conversations with peers.
  • Students loved being able to "build" something.
  • One student said, "It got my mind going like never before."
Ideas for next time:
  • Student choice of the novel (my idea)
  • Possibly create with a topic of non-fiction (student idea)
  • More "free sides" (student idea)
  • A list of 24-36 activities and students choose what they do (student idea)
  • Non-Crayola Markers (student idea)
  • Circles Pre-Cut (student idea)
  • Printed on color paper (my idea)
  • Done digitally (student idea... not so sure how I feel about this)

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE how you just keep sharing!! I can't believe you've never ever hung anything from the ceilings before... This is just the start, I can tell! Thanks for sharing the bullet points, too - I learn the most from those.

    ReplyDelete

First Classroom Circle - Community Building!

On September 15th, I facilitated our first official classroom circle of the school year.   I told students about us being in Circle all week...