Monday, November 6, 2017

This one time... I lost my chapstick...







Sometimes shifting happens and it's the most pleasant surprise.   Students are working on being close and responsive readers, something we will focus on throughout the year.   The morning of introducing "The Landlady" to students, I was rushing around my kitchen looking for my chapstick.  I looked on the table.   Did not see it.   I moved things around.   Did not see it.   Then I had that moment where I swear I just saw it but now I was seeing it everywhere.   You know that moment, don't you?  I end up lifting my daughters upside down cup (why it was upside down is beyond me) and low and behold... there is my chapstick.   I just needed to look harder, look closer.  

As I was driving to work with nice moisturized lips, I chuckled to myself as I thought, "I could totally make this a lesson connection."   When students got to class, they were instructed to write down the names of places they would love to visit on the sideboard.  I explained to the students that the story we were about to read involves a young businessman traveling to a new place.   Something is "sus" with where he chooses to stay, in particular with the 'Land Lady' at the Bed and Breakfast.   Students should pay close attention to how Dahl characterizes this woman.  

As a warm-up, we played with cups.   Students had to find the eraser under a cup and then the winning student then had to host each round and relate it to the Essential Question.  We had so much fun with this activity and with the story.   Once again we were immersed in our unit focus and our story.  Discussions were fruitful.   Inferences were purposeful.   Questions were asked and I WAS NOT IN CONTROL OF THE FLOW OF THE CLASS.   The kids were sucked in, they were in control, and I could not be more proud of the work they completed.   We are well on our way.

Have I ever mentioned that I love my job!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

First Classroom Circle - Community Building!

On September 15th, I facilitated our first official classroom circle of the school year.   I told students about us being in Circle all week...