Thursday, March 16, 2023

I'm alive and well!

 I constantly tell myself, "You need to be writing more!"   

Or 

"Don't forget to put this in your blog."

And then... teacher life... mom life ... grad school student life.

If you've stumbled upon this blog, I know you know.  

You get it.

As I type this I keep thinking about the importance of self-care in general, but especially as educators.

Ya'll... I've got some news.    First off:  I'm finally going for an eyebrow wax today and will no longer feel Bert-ish.

Jesus is my homeboy, this is no secret.  I don't belong to a certain Church.   I'm really a free agent that just believes in the power of LOVE and KINDNESS and LISTENING.    

However, I was raised Catholic and I love me some Lent.

For Lent this year, I gave up FaceBook.    It's not on my phone.  GONE.   Vanished.   I told myself I would only sign on to check in on my health groups from time to time because they keep me motivated  --- I'm down 65 pounds!!!

Giving up FaceBook has been amazing for my self-care.

I've also learned how to opt out of the e-mails FaceBook sends when you haven't logged in.   Did you know if you go more than 72 hours they'll send you e-mail updates to let you know random friends have updated their status?   #annoying

Anywhooo.... I feel happier.   I didn't know I was feeling unhappy, but I did know I was feeling "the FOMO" when reading other peoples' posts.   FOMO = Fear Of Missing Out.    Seeing people doing XYZ making me feel some type of way.   Or reading posts of people whom I've decided to pray for as they're clearly struggling in areas of mental health or more.   I don't know if I need a better audience or what the deal is but I'm not missing zee book o face.  

The whole point of this rant is for me to say "I'm here.   I'm doing well.   I've just been spending more time on me when I'm not doing all the things and it's been awesome."

Stay tuned for more.  But more importantly, do something for YOU today.   


2 comments:

  1. OMG! I quit Facebook back in 2020 - Too many people telling everyone what they should do. It felt SOOO good. I only go on it now once every break (summer, winter, and spring breaks). It's been very good for my mental health. I'm glad you're still here and doing well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how much better I feel without it! Then of course the guilt comes, because I like who is on my FB but sometimes it's just too much for me.

      Delete

First Classroom Circle - Community Building!

On September 15th, I facilitated our first official classroom circle of the school year.   I told students about us being in Circle all week...