Thursday, January 2, 2020

One Word 2020 Activity

Coming back to school on a Thursday is... weird.    I knew that I'd definitely need to have something planned for students where they could interact to the max utilizing as much of their learning style as possible.

I decided we would chat about New Years, Resolutions, New Beginnings, Etc. 

After our chat and some laughs, I had students write down their initials on a piece of scrap paper.   I them put up the #OLW and #OneWord2020 Hashtag and discussed what the Internetz is going crazy over right now.

I had students do some research to find a positive word that stands out to them and that they'd like to be a focus point for 2020.   I've got to say... WATCHING this process was so much FUN for me.  Students were on their laptops, writing things down, crossing things off, tapping pencils, chatting with friends, etc... Creativity was finally in the air!    I had my kids back!    No more back to school grumps!

While working, a student in my 3-4-5 class made a REALLY profound point.   She said, "You know, sometimes I don't understand why people even bother with resolutions.   Because you'd almost have to move and start over for people to understand the new you."    When I asked her what she meant, she said this:  "If I met someone, say you, B, and when I met you I found you to be very rude... I'm always going to look at you as a very rude person, you'd have to work really hard to make changes because if not, that first impression I had will always be the same."   WHOA.    Deep.

Students then were talking about how WE as teachers tend to judge students before even knowing them.    One student in particular said to me, "Come on Mrs. Geib, you told me straight up on the second day of school that my reputation from middle school means nothing to you and that made everything like so different."    Ya'll.   I could have cried.   Heck, I probably will later. 

Here are some work samples of what the students have created.   Tomorrow students will then finish their writing assignment paired with this.   Students will be putting their word into ... WORDS.   Ha!  I have requested that they write to me DEFENDING their choice.    I want to know not only their word, but what that word means to THEM and WHY they chose it.   I'm really looking forward to reading their responses.

My students are often highly misunderstood.    High School Special Education is a busy place, that's for sure!   I am so blessed to be their teacher and to have their trust.   










No comments:

Post a Comment

First Classroom Circle - Community Building!

On September 15th, I facilitated our first official classroom circle of the school year.   I told students about us being in Circle all week...